A Japanese Twitter user showed off his incredible body transformation. The man, who goes by the handle @hiiragisensei, posted before and after pictures, showing the results of his Tabata workout training.
According to The Star, he was able to lose 13 kilograms (28.6 pounds) and 18.2% of his body fat.
Tabata was invented in 1996 by Dr. Izumi Tabata and a team of researchers from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. It is a short yet intense exercise routine that only lasts four minutes per form of exercise. It consists of 20 seconds of hard continuous workout followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated eight times.
Hiragi claims he achieved his transformation by doing burpees, also known as squat thrusts. He went from 72 kilograms (158.7 pounds) to 59 kilograms (130 pounds).
This remarkable transformation is a testament to the effectiveness of Tabata’s training. It is a great way to get fit quickly and efficiently.
Is Tabata Training Effective for Weight Loss?
Tabata training is a form of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) that has become popular in recent years. It consists of short, intense bursts of exercise followed by brief rest periods. Here is an overview of Tabata training and whether it can be an effective approach for weight loss.
What is Tabata Training?
Tabata training was developed by Japanese scientist Dr. Izumi Tabata in the 1990s. It involves performing an exercise at maximum effort for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. This is repeated for 8 total cycles, for a grand total of 4 minutes.
Typically, Tabata training involves bodyweight exercises like push-ups, squats, burpees, jumping jacks etc. The short work duration allows you to really push yourself and reach high levels of intensity.
The whole workout takes just 4 minutes, although it is common to repeat Tabata cycles with different exercises for a longer total workout.
Benefits of Tabata Training
Research shows that Tabata training can:
- Improve cardiovascular fitness and VO2 max as much as moderate intensity endurance training
- Increase anaerobic capacity and power output
- Boost metabolism and elevate calorie burn after the workout is over
The extremely high intensity of Tabata training provides many benefits in a short time frame. Just 4 minutes of high intensity effort can stimulate your cardiovascular system, burn calories and improve fitness.
Is Tabata Good For Weight Loss?
Tabata training can be an effective part of a comprehensive weight loss strategy. Here are some of the key reasons why:
- High calorie burn. The intense bursts of exercise significantly increase your metabolic rate during the workout. Studies show you can burn over 10 calories per minute doing Tabata training.
- Elevated metabolism after the workout. The intensity of Tabata triggers excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). Your metabolism remains elevated after the workout is over, leading to additional calorie burn.
- Builds muscle. The high intensity intervals help increase muscle mass when combined with proper nutrition. More muscle mass equals a higher resting metabolism.
- Short time commitment. The condensed 4 minute workout format makes Tabata training highly time efficient. You can fit it into even the busiest schedule and the intensity makes up for the short duration.
However, Tabata training alone may not be sufficient for significant, long-term weight loss for most people. You still need to pay close attention to your nutrition, create a calorie deficit, train consistently and make Tabata part of a comprehensive fitness program.
Tips for Using Tabata to Lose Weight
Here are some tips to maximize fat burning potential with Tabata training:
- Combine Tabata with strength training to build metabolism boosting muscle
- Include Tabata as part of your regular workout routine 2-3 times per week
- Maintain proper nutrition and be in a calorie deficit to lose weight
- Work different muscle groups on different days to provide your body adequate recovery
- Listen to your body and take rest days whenever you need to prevent overtraining
- Stay well hydrated before, during and after your Tabata workouts
- Consider working with a personal trainer to learn proper form and intensity
Tabata Training For Weight Loss
Tabata training can be an efficient and effective workout method to help boost calorie burn and metabolism. The intensity and muscle building potential of Tabata makes it a useful tool for weight loss. However, nutrition, recovery and consistency are still key – Tabata alone will not make you lose significant weight. Approach it as one component of a comprehensive fitness and weight loss program.